I’m sure that you had the same situation – starting to make one recipe, than realize you miss some important ingredient and in the end improvising something totally different. So, it happens to me with this recipe. I ended up making improvised version of salty rolls, which luckily were crustily and tasty. People in Serbia make different versions of rolls very often, either for every day either for some special celebration, both salty and sweet. The only problem with this crustily rolls is that they are a little bit more hard tomorrow, but in my case there almost nothing left for tomorrow. As a matter of fact, my family liked them so much that I had to make double portion.
Ingredients for dough (32 rolls):
- 600 gr flour
- 50 gr yeast ( 1 package )
- 300 ml warmish water
- 100 ml yogurt
- 1 baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- half teaspoon of salt
Ingredients for the filling:
- 4 potatoes
- 10 gr margarine
- 100 gr bacon
- half fresh paprika
- 1 egg
- a little bit of sea salt
Directions for dough:
- Put 100 ml warmish water in a smaller bowl, add 1 teaspoon of sugar and yeast.
- Mix everything and leave yeast to rest.
- In the meantime in a bigger bowl sift 600 gr flour.
- In flour add baking powder and half teaspoon of salt.
- After that add yeast in flour, together with 200 ml water and 100 ml yogurt.
- Mix dough with mixer and leave it to rest, while you prepare filling.
Directions for the filling:
- Cook potatoes and make mashed potatoes. Add margarine in mashed potato while it is still warm and mix it with mixer.
- Cut bacon on small dices and fry it 3 – 4 minutes in fry pan.
- Cut paprika on small dices.
- Mix together mashed potato, bacon and paprika.
- Split dough on 4 balls, add a little bit of flour,to avoid that dough sticks to the fingers while you shape it.
- Roll out each ball on a floured work surface and cut it on 8 triangles, put a smaller amount of filling in the middle and roll from wider till narrow end.
- Brush the tops of the rolls with beaten egg and dust with a little bit of sea salt. Put them on baking paper.
- Pre-heat the oven on 225°C and bake rolls until they are golden.